Article 91A Participation of the Federation
(1) The Federation participates, in the following sectors, in the discharge of responsibilities of the States , provided that such responsibilities are important to society as a whole and that federal participation is necessary for the improvement of living conditions (joint tasks):
- improvement of regional economic structures,
- improvement of the agrarian structure and of coast preservation.
(2) Joint tasks as well as details of coordination are defined in detail by a federal statute requiring the consent of the Senate .
(3) In cases to which Paragraph I No. 1 applies, the Federation pays for one half of the expenditure in each State . In cases to which Paragraph I No. 2 applies, the Federation pays for at least one half of the expenditure, and such proportion is the same for all the States . Details are regulated by statute. Provision of funds are subject to appropriation in the budgets of the Federation and the States .
Article 91 B Funding of Research, Performance of the Educational System
(1) The Federation and the States may, pursuant to agreements, cooperate in cases of supra-regional importance to promote:
- institutions and projects of scientific research outside of universities;
- projects of science and research at universities;
- research facilities at universities including large scale equipment.
- Agreements according to Sentence 1 No. 2 require the approval by all States
(2) The Federation and the States may, pursuant to agreements, cooperate in order to internationally compare the performance of the educational system and to participate in reports and recommendations in that respect.
(3) The allocation of costs is determined by the agreement.
Article 91 C Systems of Information Technology
(1) Federation and States may cooperate in the planning, installation, and operation of systems of information technology needed for their tasks.
(2) Federation and States may by agreement establish standards and security requirements necessary for the communication between their systems of information technology. Agreements about the basis of cooperation according to sentence may for tasks of specific substance and extent provide that detailed regulation is adopted on the consent of a qualified majority of Federation and States as specified in the convention. They require the consent of the House of Representatives and of the Houses of Representatives of participating States ; the right to cancellation of these agreements cannot be excluded. The agreement also determines the allocation of costs.
(3) Furthermore, the States may agree on the joint operation of systems of information technology as well as the establishment of specific installations.
(4) For the connection of information technology networks of the Federation and the States , the Federation establishes a connection network. Details regarding the installation and operation of the connection network are regulated by a federal statute requiring the consent of the Senate.
Article 91 D Comparative Surveys
Federation and States may, to establish and improve the performance of their administrations, conduct comparative surveys and publish the results.