PART 1: THE POLICE FORCEThe Gambia Police Force Article 178.
(1) There shall be a Police Force of The Gambia of which the Inspector General of Police shall be the head.
(2) The Police Force shall be equipped and maintained to perform its traditional role of maintaining law and order, and such other functions as may be prescribed by an Act of the National Assembly.
(3) No person or authority shall raise any other police force or service except by or under the authority of an Act of the National Assembly.
Subsection (4) (Deleted by No 6 of 2001) Article 179, Control of Police Force
(deleted by No. 6 of 2001) Police Council Article 180.
There shall be a Police Council whose composition, functions and powers shall be prescribed by an Act of the National Assembly. Article 181, Appointments in Public Force
(Deleted by No 6 of 2001)
PART 2: THE PRISON SERVICE Prison Service Article 182.
(1) There shall be a Prison Service which shall be headed by the Commissioner of Prisons.
(2) An Act of the National Assembly shall prescribe the functions and powers of the Prison Service. Control of Prison Service Article 183.
Subject to the general authority and direction of the President and the Prison Service Council, the Commissioner of Prisons shall be responsible for the operational control and administration of the Prison Service and Prisons in The Gambia. Prison Service Article 184.
There shall be a Prison Service Council whose composition, functions and powers shall be prescribed by an Act of the National Assembly. Appointments in Prisons Service Article 185.
(1) The Commissioner of Prisons shall be appointed by the President after consultation with the National Security council.
(2) Subject to this section, the power to appoint persons in the rank of Assistant Commissioner and above in the Prison Service shall be vested in the President on the advice of the Commissioner of Prisons through the Secretary of State.
(3) Subject to any regulations made by the Prison Service Council, the power to appoint persons to a rank in the Prison Service below that of Assistant Commissioner shall vest in the Commissioner.