Part III Equalization and Regional DisparitiesSection 36: Equal Opportunities
1. Without altering the legislative authority of Parliament or of the provincial legislatures, or the rights of any of them with respect to the exercise of their legislative authority, Parliament and the legislatures, together with the government of Canada and the provincial governments, are committed to
- promoting equal opportunities for the well being of Canadians;
- furthering the economic development to reduce disparity in opportunities; and
- providing essential public services of reasonable quality to all Canadians.
2. Parliament and the government of Canada are committed to the principle of making equalization payments to ensure that provincial governments have sufficient revenues to provide reasonably comparable levels of public services at reasonably comparable levels of taxation.