Chapter II Basis of StateArticle 7:
1. Azerbaijanian state is democratic, legal, secular, unitary republic.
2. In terms of internal problems state power in the Azerbaijan Republic is limited only by law, in terms of foreign policy-by provisions resulting from international agreements, wherein the Azerbaijan Republic is one of the parties.
3. State power in the Azerbaijan Republic is based on a principle of division of powers: the Parliament [Milli Majlis] of the Azerbaijan Republic exercises legislative power; executive power belongs to the President of the Azerbaijan Republic; law courts of the Azerbaijan Republic exercise judicial power.
4. According to provisions of the present Constitution legislative, executive and judicial power interact and are independent within the limits of their authority.Article 8:
The Head of the Azerbaijanian state:
1. The President of the Azerbaijan Republic is the Head of the Azerbaijanian state. He represents Azerbaijanian state both within the country and in its relations with foreign countries.
2. The President of the Azerbaijan Republic represents unity of Azerbaijanian people and provides continuity of the Azerbaijanian statehood.
3. The President of the Azerbaijan Republic is guarantor of independence and territorial integrity of the Azerbaijanian state, observance of international agreements wherein the Azerbaijan Republic is one of the parties.
4. The President of the Azerbaijan Republic is guarantor of independence of judicial power.Article 9:
1. In order to provide its safety and defend itself the Azerbaijan Republic establishes Military forces and other military troops.
2. The Azerbaijan Republic rejects a war as a means of infringement on independence of other states and way of settlement of international conflicts.
3. The President of the Azerbaijan Republic is the Supreme Commander-in-Chief of Military Forces of the Azerbaijan Republic.Article 10:
Principles of international relations:
Azerbaijan Republic develops its relations with other countries based on principles recognized in international legal standards.Article 11:
1. The territory of the Azerbaijan Republic is sole, inviolable and indivisible.
2. Internal waters of the Azerbaijan Republic, sector of the Caspian Sea (lake) belonging to the Azerbaijan Republic, air space over the Azerbaijan Republic are integral parts of the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic.
3. No part of territory of the Azerbaijan Republic may be estranged. The Azerbaijan Republic will not give any part of its territory to anybody; state borders of the Azerbaijan Republic might be changed only by free decision of its peoples made by way of referendum declared by the Parliament [Milli Majlis] of the Azerbaijan Republic.Article 12:
The highest priority objective of the state:
1. The highest priority objective of the state is to provide rights and liberties of a person and citizen.
2. Rights and liberties of a person and citizen listed in the present Constitution are implemented in accordance with international treaties wherein the Azerbaijan Republic is one of the parties.Article 13:
1. The property in the Azerbaijan Republic is inviolable and is protected by state.
2. The property may be state, private and municipal.
3. The property may not be used for restriction of rights and liberties of a person and citizen, interests of society and state, dignity of a person.Article 14:
Without prejudice to rights and interests of any physical persons and legal entities natural resources belong to the Azerbaijan Republic.Article 15:
Economic development and state:
1. Development of economy based on various forms of property in the Azerbaijan Republic is aimed to prosperity of people.
2. Based on market relationships the Azerbaijanian state creates conditions for development of economy, guarantees free business activity, prevents monopoly and unfair competition in economic relations.Article 16:
Social development and state:
1. Azerbaijanian state takes care about improvement of prosperity of all people and each citizen, their social protection and proper living conditions.
2. Azerbaijanian state participates in development of culture, education, public health, science, arts, protects environment, historical, material and spiritual heritage of people.Article 17:
Family and state:-
1. Family as a basic element of society is under special protection of the state.
2. Parents must take care of their children and their education. The state controls implementation of this responsibility.Article 18:
Religion and state:-
1. Religion in the Azerbaijan Republic is separated from state. All religions are equal before the law.
2. Spreading and propaganda of religions humiliating people's dignity and contradicting the principles of humanism are prohibited.
3. State educational system is secularArticle 19:
1. Monetary unit of the Azerbaijan Republic is manat.
2. Only National Bank has the right of introducing money into circulation and withdrawal them from circulation. National Bank of the Azerbaijan Republic belongs exclusively to the state.
3. Use of other monetary units, besides manat, on the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic is prohibited.Article 20:
Restrictions concerning state debts:-
Debts made with intention of assisting in revolts against the Azerbaijanian state or coup shall not be accepted by the Azerbaijan Republic as liabilities and paid.Article 21:
1. Azerbaijanian language is official language of the Azerbaijan Republic. Azerbaijan Republic provides development of the Azerbaijanian language.
2. Azerbaijan Republic ensures free use and development of other languages spoken by the people.Article 22:
Baku is the capital of the Azerbaijan Republic.Article 23:
Symbols of the Azerbaijanian state:-
1. State flag of the Azerbaijan Republic, State Emblem of the Azerbaijan Republic and State hymn of the Azerbaijan Republic are state symbols of the Azerbaijan Republic. State flag of the Azerbaijan Republic consists of three horizontal stripes of same width. Upper stripe is blue, middle stripe is red, and the lower one is green; in the middle of red stripe on both sides of the flag white crescent with eight-pointed star are depicted. Width of the flag constitutes half of its length.
2. Appearance of state flag of the Azerbaijan Republic and State Emblem of the Azerbaijan Republic, music and text of State hymn of the Azerbaijan Republic are specified by Constitutional Law of the Azerbaijan Republic.