Year : 1973
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title and commencement.
- Authoritative texts of Central laws in certain languages.
- Power to make rules.
THE 2[AUTHORITATIVE TEXTS] (CENTRAL LAWS) ACT, 1973 ACT NO. 50 OF 1973
An Act to provide for 1[authoritative texts] of Central laws in certain languages.
[5th December, 1973.]
BE it enacted by Parliament in the Twenty-fourth Year of the Republic of India as follows:—
- Short title and commencement.—(1) This Act may be called the 2[Authoritative Texts] (Central Laws) Act, 1973.
(2) It shall come into force on such date3 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
- 4[Authoritative texts] of Central laws in certain languages.—A translation in any language (other than Hindi) specified in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution, published under the authority of the President in the Official Gazette,—
- of any Central Act or of any Ordinance promulgated by the President, or
- of any order, rule, regulation or bye-law issued under the Constitution or under any Central Act,
shall be deemed to be the 4[authoritative text] thereof in such language.
- Power to make rules.—(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
(2) Every rule made under this section shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament, while it is in session, for a total period of thirty days which may be comprised in one session or in two or more successive sessions, and if, before the expiry of the session immediately following the session or the successive sessions aforesaid, both Houses agree in making any modification in the rule or both Houses agree that the rule should not be made, the rule shall thereafter have effect only in such modified form or be of no effect, as the case may be; so, however, that any such modification or annulment shall be without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done under that rule.
- Subs. by Act 18 of 1988, s. 2, for “authorised translations” (w.e.f. 31-3-1988).
- Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for “Authorised Translations” (w.e.f. 31-3-1988).
- 1st July, 1981, vide notification No. S.O. 482(E), dated 15th June, 1981, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii).
- Subs. by Act 18 of 1988, s. 4, for “authorised translation” (w.e.f. 31-3-1988).